Frequently Asked Questions

The following Questions and Answers represent the issues raised during our meeting on November 13th, 2004 in Redding. Some questions have been restated to provide a more specific answer. The names of individuals asking questions have been removed to assure privacy. If you have a follow-up question or need more information for your specific club, feel free to call or e-mail me directly at

I hope these answers meet your needs. If you have a follow-up question, send me an e-mail and I’ll respond as soon as I can. I’ll be in Santa Nella in January 2005, and I hope to meet with some of you again.

Q: The facility where my club meets requires a certificate of insurance. How do I obtain one?
A: There are several ways to request a certificate. From this website, you can click on Request a Certificate, complete the form and e-mail or fax it to us. Another way would be to fax a written request to us. Finally, if you have advance notice, include the event’s details on your renewal application, the cert will be generated automatically.(top)

Q: The facility where we meet is owned by a state, city, or other government agency, and they require special wording on our cert. How do we get the cert issued?
A: Basically, you need to follow one of the processes mentioned in the previous question. However, we would need a copy of the required wording to make certain the carrier can meet the stipulations of the agreement.

Q: What is the benefit of purchasing our club liability coverage through the CSHA program?
A: As a benefit to it’s members, the CSHA has instructed PMT to negotiate with a number of insurance carriers to permit a discounted rate format for all member clubs. In addition, we are in the process of working on other insurance programs for CSHA members. These include a discounted equine mortality program, Farm/Ranch, and in the future, a major medical plan. These are ways your CSHA dues are working hard for you.

Q: When do we have Liquor Liability coverage?
A: “Host Liquor Liability” is provided within the policy form. The rule of thumb here is that a “host” does not charge for drinks… in any manner. Tickets sold for drinks or a cash bar are not covered. In these cases a short term (normally one day) liquor sales license is normally required by the state, as you must meet all other laws associated with the selling of liquor. A short term insurance policy can be obtained, provided we have ample lead time for your event.

Q: Would you please explain what a “Hold Harmless Release” is and why it is important?
A: A Hold Harmless Agreement is a form that may provide each club with an additional defensive barrier from a lawsuit. It may also lessen the extent to which you may be liable. Since California does not have an “Equine Liability Law”, we are forced to prove that an injured party was aware of the inherent dangers associated with horse activities. A Hold Harmless Agreement provides some documentation that a nonmember participant was aware of the hazards prior to the accident. If your club uses a Hold Harmless Agreement, I’d like to review it and make it a part of your file. If you don’t have one, the CSHA has a standardized form you can have your club attorney review for your specific usage.

Q: Our club’s insurance renewal is during & after our club elections. How will the renewal application process be handled?
A: We recognize the policies renew at a difficult time for most clubs. We are working on several ideas with the carrier to address this issue. In the meantime, we’ve mailed (as of 11/16/04) all renewal applications directly to the last known insurance representative for each club. You may also find the renewal application and instructions on this website under Renewal Applications. You may call our office with any questions that you might have concerning this process.

Q: Event disclosure was discussed at length, can you restate the basic points?
A: In order that we can provide the proper liability coverage for your club, it is imperative that we know what you are doing. The extent of your disclosure may dictate the extent of your coverage. Coverage is currently based on your number of club events, so total disclosure is vital to everyone. Such disclosure allows coverage when needed and permits certificates to be issued when required.

Q: Fundraising is an important function in our club. How can we make certain we have the coverage we need?
A: Basically, equine related events disclosed on your application are covered. Non-equine related events (non-disclosed), such as dinners and other social events, require advance notice, as they may not be automatically covered. All known events should be disclosed on the application, others should be disclosed when they are in the formative stages. This would permit our input to assure coverage is afforded.

Q: Can we obtain higher liability limits than currently maintained by our club?
A: Yes, we can provide a double aggregate limit. In some cases, we can also provide an excess liability limit to meet your cert holder requirements.

Q: If a safety helmet rule is made mandatory, how will it effect our insurance rates?
A: At the onset, not too much, but over the long haul, a considerable amount. There are a number of safety related issues here. First, assuming we are talking about juniors here, I would hope that we would want to protect them in every way we can. Helmets have clearly proven to reduce the severity of head injuries. So even if there weren’t any insurance savings, why not protect our children? Secondly, if it can be generally proven that a helmet is safer for the rider, we become obligated to require such usage. I’d hate to be the one being questioned about a serious head trauma knowing a helmet at the least may have lessened the damage, at the most prevented it completely. You may get additional information from the American Medical Equestrian Association.

Q: Does our insurance cover our state patrol and ETP while “On Duty” providing first aid or crowd control?
A: As long as the duties are fully disclosed on your application, coverage is provided. At the same time, expansion of such duties needs to be reviewed with the underwriters. This would allow us the opportunity to advise on the acceptability of the activity.

Q: Are we protected as an organization and individually as directors of the organization due to the activities stated in the previous question?
A: The members providing the service or involved in the activity and the club itself would be covered, provided it was a disclosed event. Directors would only be covered if they were involved in the event.

Q: Can we get Directors and Officers Coverage or do we have coverage due to our relationship with CSHA?
A: We are currently researching the availability of D&O coverage for all related clubs as a result of CSHA membership. It is not likely a good option, as the limit of liability would be shared amongst all clubs. We would recommend a D&O policy for each club. This isolates each club from the activities of the other clubs. We intend to research the availability of a D&O endorsement to your individual club policy at renewal in 2005. If you desire coverage prior to that date, please contact my office. If we are not able to offer such coverage enhancement at renewal, we may offer a separate policy.

Q: Communication seems to be very important, we are simply too busy to call you with everything we are doing, and that’s if we remember.
A: Seems like a statement, but let me respond by saying I understand. I too get busy and get behind. One simple solution to our communication efforts might be for your club to include me on your mailing list. That way my office can be made aware of what’s going on without any special effort on your part! Also, let the internet be your friend! You can use our site as a source of referral and information. You can also e-mail your newsletters to us.

Q: Do you have a specific accident report form you want us to use?
We’ve just received a copy of a form currently in use. We will have it reviewed and have it, or it’s revised version posted on this site soon.

Q: What is a public event day?
Anytime an event is held where a non-member is allowed to participate or is exposed to your activities, should be considered a public event day. This includes guests, prospective members, parents and children of members, former members, ANYONE other than a member. Remember the measure should be if non-members are exposed to your activity it is a public event day.

Q: Why is public event day notification so important?
In order to provide coverage for any third party liability claim, the carrier requires notification prior to the event. This permits proper coverage to be provided for the various events.

Q: Should non-rider helpers at shows be signing release forms too?
An excellent point. Any non-club member, volunteer, or parent helper should also sign a release form. The fact that they are on the ground, working with and around horses means the club is at risk and a release should be obtained.

Q: Does the policy extend to cover our activities that are non equestrian in nature?
Yes, activities such as general meetings, horsemanship classes, educational meetings and those which are part of running the club are automatically covered. Fundraising activities however, should be cleared through the PMT office first, as the sometimes “creative nature” of such events may require an endorsement.

Q: What type of coverage is available for Region Royalty riders that might be riding in parades, or as part of the grand entry at rodeo events?
If the event will not involve non-members coverage is automatic. However, if non-members will be involved in the event it needs to be disclosed and an appropriate charge will apply. See public event day shown above.

Q: Are there seasonal coverages for riders that regularly participate in parades or drilling events?
No, policies are written on an annual basis and all parades should be disclosed. The charge for parades, if they are used in the first 7 event days of the policy is $55, the charge for each parade after the 7 initial is $100. If drill/exhibition are sponsored/sanctioned by the CSHA coverage is automatic, if the CSHA is not the sponsor, disclosure is needed and an appropriate charge will apply. (top)

Q: Are there any provisions for insuring Region property like trailers, timing lights or sound systems?

Yes, there are ways to provide coverage for Region properties. We are currently obtaining an inventory list from all Regions to determine the need for such coverage. Clubs, which own arenas and other property, should also contact us with such information, as we can provide coverage for this exposure too.

Q: What are the advantages to affiliated clubs for joining CSHA and participating in the insurance programs?
First and foremost, you are supporting an organization, which helps secure the future of the equestrian lifestyle in the State of California. Issues such as open trails, equine liability laws, horsemanship and the promotion of the equine industry are all championed by CSHA. Visit the CSHA website for more information.
The CSHA insurance program has many facets. One (I would hope) is this agency, a firm with extensive experience in providing a wide range of equestrian related insurance coverages. You may want to look around this website for more information. We’d be pleased to review your specific needs.
As for the specific insurance program, we have the carriers required to meet a wide variety of equine exposures. This is done free of charge to your club. We can review your liability release forms or provide you with a CSHA form if you don’t have one, again free of charge.
The law of large numbers provides your club with the benefit of the clout of every club when purchasing liability insurance. This provides your club with comprehensive coverage at a below market price. We do not charge agency broker fees and only charge the actual premium for the coverage. There are no hidden fees.
You also have the benefit of the resources of CSHA board members as well as this firm to help provide the assistance needed to develop programs that might benefit your club and it’s members.
There are many other value added benefits of your CSHA membership. The more you look, the more you’ll find.

Q: For 2005 is there a difference in the coverage provided or the cost for coverage for “closed” events vs. open to public events?
No, you will receive the same coverages that were provided to you last year. Although some clubs liability limits are being increased so all affiliated clubs have the same minimum limit of coverage. In general, clubs are not charged for events that will only involve members. The exception to this is if a certificate of insurance naming a facility as an additional insured is required and that facility was not originally included on the application, in which case a $20 charge will apply. 7 “open” events are included in the club policy, once those 7 days have been used, a $45 charge will apply for all non-parade activities and a $100 will apply for parades. (top)

Q: What differences are there in the cost and coverage requirements for social events (like dinners and written testing for programs like horse mastership) compared to arena events?
These activities are automatically covered and no additional costs will apply for events involving members only, unless the facility requires a certificate as stated above. Fundraising activities however, should be cleared through the PMT office first, as some activities may require an endorsement.

Q: How much lead-time is necessary in order to obtain insurance coverage, and what costs are entailed in “hurry up” insurance binders or certificate requests?
Renewal applications should be completed and returned to our office 30 days prior to your policy’s expiration. This will give both you and PMT enough time to fix any errors that may occur (i.e.: applications not filled out correctly, not signed, or if we need additional information).
PMT does not charge for a “hurry up” binder or certificate. Bind orders and certificate requests are dealt with in order of priority, therefore a special charge is not warranted.
If a certificate request does not need special wording, and does not require adding an additional insured, additional charges will not apply (unless it is a newly disclosed event). Although, if a certificate needs to be issued for a facility that was not originally named on the application a $20 charge will apply. We do ask that if a facility is requesting a special form or wording (many Municipalities require this) please give us a day or two notice.


• ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- •
1600 E. Florida Ave., Suite 202
Hemet, CA 92544
Phone: (951) 765-6210 •Toll Free Voice: (800) 422-6210
Toll Free Fax: (800) 531-5692